Foodborne Illness Outbreak Database

This database provides summaries of significant food and water related outbreaks occurring since 1984 caused by E. coli, Salmonella, Hepatitis A, Campylobacter and other pathogens. Read more »

Search Results

2000 Outbreak of Salmonella Bareilly Linked to Well, Spring, and Bottled Water, Southeastern US

In June, 2000, an increase in infections caused by Salmonella Bareilly was noted in the southeastern United States(specific states not found). Salmonella Bareilly is an amphibian-associated Salmonella serotype. Illnesses were detected in at least ten southeastern states. Subtyping of 87 isolates yielded 58 distinct pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) patterns, suggesting multiple sources of infection. Twenty-five (5 8%) case-patients reported drinking well or spring water in the week before illness, compared with 17 (22%) of 76 controls (matched odds ratio [OR] 4.59, p<0.001). Water from one case-patient’s well yielded Salmonella Bareilly that matched the case-patient’s isolate. Among case-patients who had not drunk well or spring water, 14(78%) drank bottled water, compared with 14(42%) of 33 controls (OR 6.75, p=0.02); 8 (44%) case-patients drank bottled water processed by Company A, compared with 1(3%)control (OR undefined, p=0 .001). Although Company A bottled water from a southeastern spring, no defects in its water purification system were found.

  • Outbreak began:
  • April 2000
  • Affected Country:
  • US
  • Affected States/Territories:
  • N/A
  • Organism(s):
  • Salmonella
  • Vehicle(s):
  • Water, Well, Spring, Bottled
  • Molecular Results Available:
  • Yes
  • Test Results:
  • Unknown
  • Location(s):
  • Unknown
  • Brand Name(s):
  • Product Subject to Recall:
  • Unknown
  • Total ill:
  • 95
  • Number ill by Case Definition Known:
  • Yes
  • Number Laboratory Confirmed Cases:
  • 95
  • Number Probable Cases:
  • 0
  • Number Possible Cases:
  • 0
  • Anyone Hospitalized:
  • Yes
  • Number Hospitalized:
  • 19
  • Any Deaths:
  • Unknown
  • Number Dead:
  • Unknown
  • Any References:
  • Yes

Other Databases

Contact Us

Questions and comments welcome. Please fill out the form below and we will respond to your inquiry.

 *
 *
 *
 *

* Required Fields